HOME OWNERSHIP WITHIN REACH
Habitat for Humanity-MidOhio is committed to empowering families to build a new life through the stability and security of owning a home. Through our homeownership program we extend the opportunity of homeownership to first-time home buyers who do not qualify for a conventional mortgage. Our mortgages are 27.5% of gross monthly income, and zero interest. We invite families who desire to become homeowners to partner with us in a 12-18 month process that includes construction on their own home and other Habitat homes, financial and home maintenance classes, and serving in their communities.
View our Homeowner Services Brochure for an overview of our program.
If you are interested in applying for our homeownership program, please attend an upcoming orientation to learn more and receive an application (see 2019 schedules below). You may also call our office at 614-484-1966 to receive an application in the mail.
Applicants for our homeownership program must meet three main requirements:
- Ability to Pay
- Willingness to Partner
- Household income must be between 30-60% of the Area Median Income. See the income guidelines below.
- Current housing situation must be substandard, not necessarily subsidized. Examples of substandard housing include unresponsive landlords, mold, transitional housing, high rent, overcrowding, etc.)
ABILITY TO PAY
- Must be able to pay a monthly mortgage. This amount is equal to 27.5% of your gross monthly income.
- Must have a steady income for at least one year, and be in your current job for at least six months.
- We do not look at credit score, but we do look at the applicant and co-applicant’s credit to determine debt to income ratio.
- You may not have more than $1000 in collections.
- If you have filed bankruptcy, it must be discharged for at least two years.
WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER
- Must attend a homeownership orientation meeting.
- Must meet deadlines throughout the application process.
- Once in the program, partner families must complete 200-250 hours of “sweat equity.” Examples of sweat equity include financial literacy and home maintenance classes, working in our ReStore, and construction on a partner family’s own home and other Habitat homes.
In addition to the above requirements, applicants must be first-time homebuyers who do not qualify for a conventional mortgage, and must be U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents. Partner families are also responsible for a down payment that includes a portion of closing costs and the first year of homeowners insurance (approximately $2,000), due at the time of closing on their home.
Are you a veteran or currently serving in the military?
We encourage you to consider homeownership through our “Habitat for Heroes” program. As part of a national initiative, “Veterans Build” encourages veterans and members of the military and their families to access affordable housing through Habitat for Humanity MidOhio. The initiative also aims to create awareness of the opportunity to productively engage in the community alongside fellow veterans and to promote the value of volunteering in service to others.
If you feel you meet all of the criteria above, please complete the online questionnaire below.
Homeowner Services Department
Habitat for Humanity-MidOhio
6665 Busch Blvd.
Columbus, Ohio 43229
Need a translator?
When partnering with individuals and families who do not speak English, may have hearing or speech disabilities or other difficulties or handicaps which may lead to difficulty in communicating with Habitat for Humanity MidOhio (HFHMO) staff and volunteers, HFHMO will first attempt to have family, volunteers, community organizations, and other local resources to locate and use translators willing to assist applicant and partner families at no cost to either the family or HFHMO. If HFHMO is unable to locate a person/organization willing to assist in translating, HFHMO will pay for the services of a translator in assisting the staff and family in completion of the application, home visit, and partnership criteria.